Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Booklist This Year

I've decided to keep a running list of my book reading this year and I thought this would be the perfect place because... I can't lose the list! 

     At the end of last year I started reading The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald.  A classic children's fantasy novel published in 1872, but really a story for any age.  I greatly enjoyed it and it's sequel, The Princess and Curdie.  After that I chose to read The Complete Works by George MacDonald.  I don't think I finished the last few stories before needing to return it to the library, but some of my favorites were Little Daylight, and The Light Princess.  If you like fantasy and want something enjoyable and light, these would fit the bill.

Since starting to work on organizing our home library, I decided to read one I had picked up in a library sale several years ago.  Carry On, Mr. Bowditch is a Newberry Medal winner from 1956.

       A great children's historical fiction/ biography novel about Nathan Bowditch and how he changed the world of navigation.  If you are looking for something inspiring and historically based, then this would be a fun read.

     Now, just so you don't think I only read children's stories, I'm currently reading Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.  
I am very much enjoying this Dickens right from the beginning, and I only say that because last year I read The Tale of Two Cities, which took about one third of the book before it was really interesting. I'm only on Chapter 8 of 53, so I'm sure I'll be here for quite some time, but so far it's been quite enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment