Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Johnson Woods State Nature Preserve




I love to walk in the woods.
 
There's just something about being among the trees and wildflowers, walking along the boardwalk, that just makes me happy.

Nature truly inspires me and I love it. 
I love the wonder of it.
I love the beauty in it.
I love being with it.










Last week we drove to Johnson Woods to see if we could catch the spring wildflowers.
As you can see, it still looks a lot like winter here as of last Wednesday.
Spring has been slow in coming.   

There are some signs of spring wildflowers to come though.
Peeking out from under the fall leaf clutter are some yellow trout lily.  This is the only bloom I saw, but lots of new leaves unfurling, so there should be plenty to see in the coming weeks.

There are also trillium emerging as well.  These trillium plants are being protected by a wire enclosure to keep the deer from eating them.  They are native to this forest and Ohio's state wildflower.

Johnson Woods is an old growth forest.  It is claimed that many of these trees are anywhere from 200 - 400 years old with the largest trees being oak and hickory.  We saw some pretty large beech trees as well. 
As you walk along the one mile boardwalk, fallen trees are everywhere.  

We will be heading back to the woods again this week.   
I'm hoping to have some beautiful trillium pictures to share.
Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment