Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer Art Collages

This week we were challenged by a fellow homeschooler at Five in a Row and Blog, She Wrote to do an art collage.  This project looked promising and not too difficult, so I decided to see if the boys were interested.  I love art, and my two girls love art, but the boys are a bigger challenge, especially BigJ.  I pleaded with him to pleeeease help me do an art project, that is wouldn't be hard, and all he had to do was cover his paper with color.

Of course, my adventurous LittleJ was no problem.  He was very willing to paint for mommy!  Ah....the paintings of a 3 yo.

Here is the finished painting LittleJ did with a bit of my help filling in color around the edges.


After the painting was dry it needed to be cut into squares.  The directions suggested 1 inch squares;  I went with 2 inch squares, first marking a grid on the back, then cutting on the lines.  I figured with the boys, the fewer, the better.  Now I had a nice pile of pretty colors to arrange.

I used a piece of poster board that I cut into four equal pieces and attached each piece with a glue stick.
LittleJ helped me with the gluing.

We worked outside in the backyard since it was such a nice afternoon.  My poster board was smaller than the original painting, so I have some pieces left over, but I'll just save those for another project.

Here is the finished product up close.  This is the one LittleJ and I put together from the original painting he made.

And this is the final product from BigJ's painting.  I couldn't convince him to do the arranging and gluing, but that's OK, I had a great time.  Did I say I love art?

I think they both turned out fabulous.  This is one project I would definitely do again.  Maybe you would like to try it too.  You can see the original directions posted here at Harmony Art Mom, another one of my favorite blogs.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment