Thursday, January 27, 2011

Keepng Track Of All Those Books

                                                                              
 As a homeschooling family, we have books.... everywhere.

 We have bookshelves.... everywhere.

 And could still use more! 

 I even have books stacked double width in some places, so often times I am forgetting what I have that I could be using simply because I don't see it.

And then there are the library books!  I usually have anywhere from 20 - 40 books checked out from the library at any given time.

So.... how do you organize your own home library?

Well, thanks to some wonderful cyberfriends on my favorite homeschooling board (FIAR, btw), I received my answer.  GuruLib !!


Now I can catagorize all my curricula, e-books, and dvds....

....plus all those books I acquire through library sales!
Yes, I know what you're thinking.  If I just straightened up the shelves then I wouldn't lose track of what I have.  But, it seems, they are always getting messed up anyway. 
 So that's also where a colored dot system will be put in place.
 I started the colored dots with my last batch of library sale finds. 
 For example, green is for science, yellow is for history, and red is for fiction.  But, I need more shelving space as you can see.

As I go through the books to catalog them into GuruLib, I'll also be decluttering the ones I really don't need or we have outgrown and aren't classics I want to keep.

This fits with my motto for 2011:  See it, Simplify it, Share it.  I'm excited to be off and running.

3 comments:

  1. Do you want to come tackle my shelves when yours are done? ; )

    Jen in OK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be in a hurry to get rid of(or give away)some you may wish you had in the future - I gave away all the Dr. Seuss and other children's classics, and later regretted it - nothing to pass down to the "next generation" or keep at my (grandma's) house. But hooray for de-cluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've popped over here from the comment you left on our blog (thanks!) ☺ and found this post (wow, very necessary in my space!)
    Off to check out GuruLib ... currently using book.cat but always open to other options.

    ReplyDelete