Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nature Study and Winter

I love the outdoors. As long as I can remember, I've always loved being outside and enjoying nature. When I was in college, and going through the Therapeutic Recreation program, I took an elective in environmental education. I loved it. Now as a family we spend time hiking, swimming, camping, and exploring wherever we can.

I've always wanted to do more nature study in our homeschool, so this year I've decided to be more deliberate with it. I love this blog written by another nature lover and home school mom and I came across a book titled, Discovering Nature in Winter. It's filled with explanations as well as activities. And then I realized the author of the blog had a side link to this book. Perfect.

Last week did a Winter Color Walk in our backyard. There isn't much color here in winter, but this is what we found. It was nice to see the little bit of pink on the ground cover, but otherwise various shades of greens and browns was mostly what we found. The day we went out was during the recent thaw which gave reminders of spring, but we've got a long way to go before then. The next snow day I hope to do some snow experiments and see if we can make some prints of real snowflakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment